Where the golden angels are closer to heaven and the woods surround vestiges from the Viennese Jugendstil. The opulent Saint Leopold church was built between 1903 and 1907 by the architect Otto Wagner at the Steinhof Psychiatric Hospital.
The statues represent St. Leopold and St. Severin – the patrons of Lower Austria – and were sculpted by Richard Luksch. The four splendid eye-popping angels were designed by Othmar Schimkowitz and the beautiful mosaics and stained glass by Koloman Moser, co-founder of the Wiener Werkstätte.
Gold and green, organic patterns and nature inspiration, delicate curves and sultry attitude conform the essense of the Art Nouveau in one of the most impressive sacred buildings in Europe.
Photography by Electric Percival